It’s a healthy casserole! Of course I still did use extra-virgin olive oil and mozzarella cheese so it’s not vegan but it’s vegetarian and it’s totally delicious.
8 potatoes diced and boiled
1/2 frozen block chopped spinach (or one bag if using fresh)
5 cloves roasted garlic
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2/3 ball mozzarella
14 organic baby tomatoes
One handful basil
Oregano, salt, pepper to taste
- Roast garlic and keep aside
- Boil potatoes for 15 minutes, add frozen spinach last five minutes of cooking, drain, add a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and stir
- Greased casserole dish, are used olive oil, add half the potatoes and spinach mixture, add roasted garlic, half of mozzarella slices and half of fresh basil
- Top with remaining potato mixture, top with sliced baby tomatoes, salt, pepper, basil and oregano. Top with the rest of mozzarella and a drizzle of olive oil
- Bake, covered, in a 400° oven for 25 minutes, then another five minutes uncovered
Damn homie. In high school you was the maaaaann homie. If you got the rap throwback let me know in the comments!
So how do you roast garlic, you may ask? Well keep the skin on the garlic cloves and put them in a pan with olive oil and swirl it around for about 5 to 8 minutes under medium low heat. Then fish out the garlic and let it cool. The olive oil in the pan will be scented with garlic. After the cloves are cool they will pop out of their skins like butter. I chopped the soft garlic and added it to a layer of the bake.
The assembly before the oven:
And of course I added hot sauce. Sometimes I wonder if the reason I make these types of dishes are so that I can add Tabasco. Tabasco is hands down my favorite hot sauce ever :)))))) I should own shares in the company.
With starchy foods like pasta or potatoes a few drops of Tabasco highlights the food and takes it up a notch. And it was so good with this casserole.