I’ve been running lately, thanks to that group of dear friends you know who you are, who are challenging me to Fitbit challenges. I’ve got a love/hate relationship with running, I hate it in every which way but loves the happiness it gives me, how it makes me feel about myself and I love how my body responds to the work.
Here are 5 joys running has given me this month:
- It makes my sleep AMAZZZINGGG… I dream well, I sleep soundly and I fall asleep fast! Sometimes, as soon as my head hits the pillow, I’m out. A massage therapist once told me once about the pineal gland, and how if you clean it out with a short juice fast you begin to dream better.. which leads me to my next point …
- My dreams are as interesting and vivid as good movies. Perhaps the fact that I’m running and pushing my body to metabolize quickly; push blood through my body faster, process oxygen quicker, make my heart step out of its box, etc. is in a way cleansing my body, battling against dull/slow/groggy movement of blood? Maybe my pineal gland, some say responsible for vivid dreams, is getting cleaned out in the process? I don’t know, but I like it.
- It reminds me I’m strong. The strength the body feels when it’s pushing to the limits reminds me of my inner strength. It reminds me I can do anything I put my mind to.
- It makes me very sharp. My brain, my eyesight, my speed .. all is quicker, it’s “revving” like an engine of a sports car or something. I feel as though I can do something quickly, with a good quality, I’m “all there” .. as opposed to groggy or slow … which brings me to my last point …
- It keeps me in the moment. Running forces me to stay in the present moment. I’m focused on the step of that very second, so even though thoughts can come into my mind during my run, I practice, successfully, how to stay in the moment, and enjoy the health I have today.
Do you run? What’s been your experiences with running?
Shoulders are so important. They help to create good posture and as the anterior front body muscles get strong fast this isn’t necessarily true for our backs. Strong shoulders can prevent back pain.
Do you workout or exercise your shoulders?
I made seitan from scratch the other day. I had watched the documentary called “Cowspiracy” and thought it was so motivating!
So here’s my recipe for chunky potatoes with meat n onions; vegan style!
Boil diced potatoes and add spinach:
I wanted Asian flavours so I added Braggs amino acids (soya sauce), rice vinegar, sweet chili sauce and a splash of apple cider vinegar.
I cooked that together covered for about 10 minutes under low heat.
Then I fried my seitan, diced, with diced onions and some all of oil and water.
The “meat” has a spicy flavor, good meaty consistency and goes well with the potatoes and onions and spinach.
It might not look like much but I’m proud of myself for making it and truly enjoying it!
I made my meat from scratch!
Have you ever tried seitan? Do you think you would like it?
Seitan is a popular meat substitute that you can make easily in your own kitchen. Why would you want to? Because eating meat is taxing on the environment.
It’s popular with vegans, delicious, and super high in protein. Basically seitan is vital wheat gluten. So it’s all gluten! And what is gluten? It’s flour with all the starch removed. Gluten free flour? It’s flour with only starch and all the protein removed.
It is very low in fat, about 1.9 g per 100 g serving. It is very high in protein, about 75 g out of 100 g serving.
So it has the same make up as a lean protein except meat protein has L lysine and seitan does not. So it’s not considered a complete protein. But no worries. You can get L lysine from a number of different sources, including plant-based sources. Mung bean sprouts and most fruits and vegetables have lots.
How do you make seitan?
1 cup vital gluten flour
1 cup vegetable broth
2 tablespoons Herbs and spices
- Mix flour with broth. Add herbs. Knead for two minutes. Dough should be puffy and stringy.
- Pull apart into three equal sized pieces and flatten out into round patties.
- Bring to boil in vegetable broth and herbs. Turn heat down to lowest setting. Cover. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Freeze unused cooled portions in broth for up to six months.
- Fry seitan in some oil with onions and use in a recipe as you would meat.
See the next blog on how to eat in a recipe!
There’s no such thing a spot training-training one part of your body to lose fat in a particular area. But you can strengthen certain muscles.
So in addition to regular cardio exercise and flexibility training, here are some great muscle conditioning exercises to target your midsection, namely your love handles!
Have you tried these exercises before ?
Let me break it down. You have a negative opinion of something. Someone else thinks the opposite! They think that working out with pink leg warmers and a thong is hot! You think it takes away from the discipline of working out.
LOL> funny example, I know.
It’s hard to hear when someone disagrees with you. They may think it’s judgmental and don’t like you passing judgment on something you thought was kind of fun or not that serious.
Do you have a pink leg warmers and thong issue with someone?
In the end does it really matter?
I think listening and sharing ideas is important. Maybe you’re assuming that the person in the thong or the person appreciating it doesn’t have appreciation for the discipline needed to work out.
Maybe they’re assuming you’re a hard head and can’t have fun.
But in a calmer time, maybe success looks like both parties listening and trying to understand what’s important to each of them.
In conclusion, understanding takes action two ways. It’s listening to what the other person thinks, it’s not assuming. Because when you ASSUME you make an ASS out of U and ME (wink, wink!)
It’s filling, gluten free, vegetarian and tastes fresh! It’s vegetable pho and it’s important that you find one that you like.
Since good authentic pho isn’t easy to make, (often broth takes hours to make and the consistency of noodles can be finicky) I think it is important for you to find a good vegetable broth from a restaurant that you love!
I am so happy to say that I have found one. Other restaurants had broth with too much weird stuff in it, there was salad and cucumbers in my noodle soup, totally unacceptable!
But not this one.
And, did I mention that this restaurant is close to my house?
The broth was clear, delicious and fresh. Vegetables perfectly cooked. Very fresh. And a great selection. I got carrots, onion, broccoli, cabbage, Red peppers, celery … And the noodles were awesome.
Vegetables are nutrient dense foods, this soup filled me up. it was totally satisfying. And the best part? This huge bowl of soup has 300 to 400 cal in total!
What is your favorite dish to order in a Vietnamese restaurant?
It’s combination of strength training, flexibility and cardio that will flatten your belly.
That’s why I like this workout. It combines strength and cardio with flexibility movements.
Have you done any of these exercises? Which ones are your favorite or least favorite?
Healthy glowing skin is a thing of beauty. And it’s not what you pile on top of your skin, hiding it, that makes it glow. Beauty does radiate from the insides.
Here are some tips:
What are your favorite tips for healthy skin?