This is such a great post workout meal!
For this recipe use regular ground beef. This will render a lot of fat. Halfway through cooking you will drain it for great flavour and less fat. I think seasoning this dish with a fresh lemon boosts the flavour well. These peppers also freeze well, and taste better the next day.
3 red, yellow or orange peppers sliced lengthwise
1 pound regular ground beef
1 white onion, diced
1 teaspoon virgin olive oil
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
The juice of one fresh lemon
1 teaspoon ground oregano
200 g shredded parmesan cheese
I teaspoon Salt and pepper to taste
1. Fry onions in 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Add sprinkle of salt and pepper and fry for one minute. Add ground beef, rest of salt and garlic. Fry on medium heat for 10 minutes. Stir periodically. Drain fat, remove.
2. Add lemon juice, oregano and one can of stewed tomatoes and cook for another 10-15 minutes.
3. Preheat your oven for 350°.
4. Using another pot bring water to boil. Add peppers to pot. Let boil for five minutes. Remove peppers and drain. Place peppers open side up in baking dish with reserved fat.
5. Fill peppers with ground beef mixture. Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Bake in 350° oven for 30 minutes.
I hope you try this. As you cook the meat mixture you could also add mushrooms, peas, black beans, feta, corn or chili peppers to create your own version of this great dish.