Lentils pack a nutritional punch and are such a great weight-loss food. They are very low in fat, high in vitamins, minerals and fiber. I chose French green lentils, which don’t look very green, more brown, but are delicious and hold their shape.
1 cup French green lentils
1 cup brown long grain rice
2 cups water
Garlic and herb seasoning
2 tablespoons olive oil
First, clean your rice and lentils. I do this by rinsing them in cold water until the water runs clear.
- Boil lentils for five minutes, drain and reserve.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to pot on medium heat. Add garlic and herb seasoning. Add wash rice. Fry rice in oil for two minutes.
- Add lentils and water. Cover. Reduce heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat, check to see that all water has been absorbed, add salt-and-pepper.
- Cover and let sit for five minutes.
Your French green lentils and brown rice side dish is ready to serve!
The lentils had a nutty flavor & frying the rice before cooking adds a delicious bite and texture. Add salt-and-pepper generously at the end to bring out flavours.
Do you love lentils? What is your favorite way to eat them?