I made this soup yesterday and it made my body feel so good I knew I had to share the recipe.
Detox is a funny word, agreed, but all I’m talking about is “correcting” or “balancing” the feeling we all get when we have eaten too many bad fats, greasy foods and been careless with our diet. So this is that soup, for when you know you feel gross and want to get back to feeling great.
There’s a “blitz”, “Vogue”, low-carb, fat burning diet that models drink when they want to lose weight or shape up because that’s their profession! I recently noticed that a model in New York City had detoxed with a soup similar to this.
She looked so great, that I did a bit of research. This is what I came up with:
1/2 head of green cabbage
1 cup broccoli florettes
1 cup cauliflower florettes
1/2 cup diced tomato, green pepper and onion mixture
Virgin olive oil for light frying
1 tablespoon split mixed daal lentils (substitute yellow split peas, split mung beans or small red lentils)
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ginger, minced
10 black peppercorns
1 bay leaf (optional)
1 L chicken or vegetable broth
1 L filtered cold water
1 cup raw chopped spinach
1 teaspoon Marmite
Dijon mustard to taste, after serving
- In large soup pot, fry daal, Ginger, garlic, diced tomatoes, diced onions, diced green pepper and black peppercorns in olive oil until onions are translucent, about seven minutes.
- In a separate sauce pan, fry broccoli and cauliflower florettes in olive oil and spice mixture of your choice over medium to high heat, for 5 to 7 minutes. This will bring out the flavor of these cruciferous vegetables.
- Add chopped cabbage, water, broccoli and cauliflower sauté & vegetable stock to soup pot, reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. If you wish, add more water.
- Turn off heat, stirring marmite and chopped raw spinach. Serve. Keep remainder covered. Eat as much as you want until pot is finished.
- After serving, stir in a teaspoon Dijon mustard to your bowl a kick of flavour if you wish. Remove black peppercorns if you do not wish to eat them.
This soup was fresh, clean and delicious. The best part was how my body felt after eating it, and nothing else. That is the trick to getting the benefits of this soup. Try and eat this soup as much as you can, before eating other things.
And there you have it. Healthy, slimming detox type soup that will clean out your body, clear out your eyes and bring you back on a healthy track.
Let me know what you think! What are your favorite “detox” eating ideas? Do you even believe in detox type eating??